When i was a little kid, i used to believe what my folks were saying about solar and lunar eclipse. They have do's and dont's when eclipse come. In fact, eclipses are viewed as bad omens. When i was schooling already, i came to know this truths about eclipse.
- during a solar eclipse the stars can be seen during the day as the sun is gradually devoured and ultimately blotted out by the moon.
- solar eclipses occur when the moon moves in front of the sun. This can happen only at the time of a new moon, when the moon is between Earth and the sun. When the three objects align perfectly an eclipse occurs.
- Risk of eye injury if one looks directly at the sun even during a partial eclipse. The eyes will be damaged unless a proper eye protection is worn. It is extremely dangerous to eyesight to look directly at an eclipse at any stage expect during totality.
India - eclipse spells bad omen so there are some who engage in banging on pots and other creative tactics are employed to drive the "evil spirits" away.
- people would immerse themselves in water to help the sun fight the dragon.
- pregnant women not to go outside during the eclipse to avoid having a blind baby or one with a cleft lip
- food cooked before the eclipse was to be thrown out afterward because it would be impure
- those who are holding a knife or ax during the eclipse would cut themselves
Philippines - many cultures in remote areas believe that a demon or dragon was devouring the sun.
China - Chinese banged pots and drums to shoo the frightful sun-eating character awayEgypt - children are often kept indoors with windows covered or shades drawn during an eclipse to avoid being blind.